WHAT IS ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION?
Erectile dysfunction, or ED, is when it is difficult to get or keep an erection that’s firm enough for intercourse. It occurs when health problems limit blood flow or damage nerves in the penis. ED can also be caused by stress or emotional reasons and can be an early warning of a more serious illness. Heart disease, high blood pressure, and high blood sugar can all cause ED. Finding and treating the cause(s) of your ED can help your overall health and well-being.
When you are not sexually aroused, your penis is soft and limp. During sexual arousal, nerve release chemicals called neurotransmitters, in this case, Nitric Oxide (NO), that increase arterial blood flow into the penis. The “smooth muscle” in the erection chambers relaxes, which lets blood enter this penis under pressure and makes the penis firm resulting in an erection. After the climax, the blood flows out of the chambers and the erection goes away.
There are a number of medical conditions that can compromise a man’s ability to get a satisfactory erection. These include Diabetes, Cardiovascular disease, Smoking, Drug or Alcohol Abuse, Obesity, High Blood Pressure, Elevated Cholesterol, and Age over 50.
Erectile Dysfunction (ED), also known as impotence, is a type of sexual dysfunction characterized by the inability to maintain an erection long enough for sexual intercourse. It happens when not enough blood flows to the penis preventing an erection.
- Approximately 30 million men in the United States have ED.
- 50% of men over 40 have some degree of ED.
- ED is more common in older men but can happen at almost any age—even to those who have never had issues with sexual function before.
- Erections too soft for penetration
- Erections too brief for penetration
- An inability to achieve erections
- Reduced interest in sex
What causes ED?
They are many possible causes for ED, and they can include both emotional and physical disorders. Some common causes are:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- The side effect of some medications for Blood pressure or Heart disease
- Emotional or personal issues (stress and anxiety)
- Lifestyle factors (Alcohol use, Smoking, Obesity)
- Relationships problems
How does Affirm help with ED?
- Affirm helps you achieve strong erections by increasing blood flow to your penis.
- When you get an erection, blood flows into your penis and is temporarily trapped there, creating pressure in the surrounding chambers that causes your penis to expand. When you have an ED, this process is interrupted.